Bernal is one of the 6 magical towns “Pueblo Magicos” in the state of Querétaro, located just over 3 hours from Mexico City.
A picturesque space that will conquer you with its colors, gastronomy, streets, and of course, for its famous monolith, full of mysticism, history, energy, and more.
These are just 10 curious facts about its famous “Peña de Bernal”
- 1. It is considered one of the 13 natural wonders of Mexico.
2. It is the third-largest monolith in the world, surpassed only by the Rock of Gibraltar in the Iberian Peninsula and the Sugarloaf Mountain in Rio de Janeiro.
3. It reaches more than 350 meters in height.
4. It was a volcano from the Cenozoic era whose magma was stagnant, solidifying millions of years ago.
5. In it are cave paintings of more than 1,300 years old.
6. At the site there are around 30 caves that according to the researchers were used by the Chichimecas as a refuge; This is known from the fire marks found, the most famous being Cueva de la Calavera, which is said to have been used as a delivery room.
7. Its altitude is considered 2,510 meters above sea level.
8. It is estimated that it weighs more than 4 million tons.
9. Many people see it as a source of energy, so March 21 is a place to visit par excellence.
10. Its inhabitants attribute to it the longevity of its people, whose average life span reaches 94.7 years of life.
- Villa de San Sebastián Bernal was founded in 1642.
- It received the name of magical town in 2006.
- Its unmissable dishes are its famous gorditas and the nopal en penca.
- It is distinguished by the production of textiles, many of them worked on a loom.
- It is one of the most visited magical towns in Mexico.
These are just some of the reasons to visit this beautiful magical town. Let yourself be pampered by its charm! The best tour to Bernal, you find it in Espíritu Aventurero. Details here.